09 January, 2014

How About Some Numbers? (and some other interesting tid bits)

I thought today's post could do some comparing with numbers. But first, a short story or two.

While I was in England, I would often get asked questions like "Have you been to New York City?"

"No, it's a bit far away," I would answer. And then their response would be, "Oh? Where abouts are you from, exactly?"

Now I've experienced this kind of geographical ignorance from my fellow Americans when asked about my trips to England, most people ask me how my trip to London was, and "is that a country?"

Fair enough, some people just don't get out much, or maybe it was just me. I was always fascinated by maps and places as a child, always had my nose stuck to a globe, exploring the reaches of our tiny little world. It just never occurred to me that people from other countries would have the same sort of ignorance about American geography. And why not? If they've not traveled, then surely, it makes sense. Yet, I was very surprised by the confusion as I tried to explain. I'd hold up my hand as a "map" of the States, point to where NYC was supposed to be towards my finger tips and point to where Illinois was, just past my knuckles in the middle, supposing my palm was California. Still, no recollection. Then it hit me. Great Britain is in its own time zone. Continental America has four. This struck a chord, and it is also my first set of numbers for you today.

"Is America actually that big?" Is the next astonished question. That doesn't even include Alaska, which is enormous in it's own right, and Hawaii. Illinois and England on it's own are roughly the same size.

My second story happened while on a road trip through Lancashire with The Boy and we got a bit turned around heading home. We stopped at a pub to ask for directions, and when we told the bartender we were heading for Hull, he was a bit surprised, "That's a long way! You're doing that drive in just one day?"

It was a two hour drive.

Now he certainly could have been taking the mick, but he seemed genuine to me. And The Boy said most people don't drive much in the UK, long trips are reserved for public transportation most of the time. It flabbergasted me. I would never consider taking a bus for a trip that was only two hours long. Where I'm from, you need an hour drive just to get groceries. That's rural for you. I was used to driving an hour or two in any direction just to get anything. Groceries, school, the cinema, everything.

So these things got me thinking about the numbers, and now I shall present some to you for you nerds like me out there. I will also compare my home state of Illinois with The Boy's home country of England, just for fun.

America has 50 States. The United Kingdom has 4 countries: England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and Northern Ireland. This does not include the territores and many islands.

For those wondering, Great Britain, while a country in it's own right, is more about the governing body. It does not rule over Ireland, which has it's own government and uses the Euro. The rest continue to use the Great British Pound.

Populations:

USA: 317,433,000
Great Britain: 63,200,000
Illinois: 12,882,135
England: 53,012,456

Largest City Population:

USA: New York City 8,336,697
Great Britain: London 9,787,426
Illinois: Chicago 2,714,856

Square Miles:

USA: 3,794,101
Great Britain: 88,745
Illinois: 57,914
England: 50,346

Highest Points:

USA: Mount McKinley 20,320 ft
Great Britain: Ben Nevis 4409 ft
Illinois: Charles Mound 1237 ft
England: Scafell Pike 3208 ft

Hottest Temp Recorded:

USA: June 1913  134 F / 57 C
Great Britain: Aug 2003  101 F / 38.5 C (also the highest in England)
Illinois: July 1954  117 F / 47 C

Coldest Recorded:

USA: Jan 1971 -80 F / -62 C
Great Britain: Dec 1995 -17 F / -27 C
Illinois: Jan 2009 -37 F / -39 C
England: Jan 1982 -15 F / -26 C


I couldn't really think of any more numbers to include. These are just things I've discussed with others about, the populations, how big everything is or how small, how hot and cold it gets. It's weird how the little things we don't really think about become fun and interesting comparisons when we talk to people from other places. If you have any numbers or comparisons like these you'd like me to research and include, I'll add them to the post and give you credit for the submission. Thank you again for readin, stay tuned for another post in a day or two. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment